Five steps to becoming a holiday home owner
Is holiday home ownership right for you? Follow our five-step guide and make a smart choice.
Once you’ve bought your holiday home, you’ll be coming back time and again, so choosing the right destination is essential. Here are some of the questions you should ask yourself.
Step 1: Is this the right holiday park?
• How far is the drive from home and am I happy to do this regularly?
• Does the site have facilities I will use?
• Am I happy to pay a bit more for a wider choice of facilities?
• Is the site quiet and peaceful or large and lively?
• How often is entertainment provided?
• Does the atmosphere change during school holidays?
Silver Sands is best for:
• Seaside location
• Family friendly nightlife
• Lots to see across the region
Step 2: Consider the costs
As with many high value purchases, you should know the costs of buying your holiday plus the ongoing running costs and maintenance.
• Buying a caravan holiday home at Silver Sands can cost from £19,995 for pre-loved models to more than £149,995 for our lodges and most luxurious options.
Finance options are available (subject to status and lender criteria. We operate from a panel of selected lenders.)
• Site fees at Silver Sands start from £3,380 for caravans and £4,640 for lodges per year, with your first year included as part of the purchase package.
• You will need to take out insurance to cover any unforeseen issues with your holiday home. A typical insurance policy will start from around £150 per year.
• One way to offset some of these costs is to sublet your holiday home to holidaymakers – ask us for more details.
Step 3: Choose a holiday home
Finding the right holiday home involves more than simply picking a style that you like. Make sure that you consider how you’ll be using the home:
• If you have lots of grandchildren, will two bedrooms be enough or will an extra bedroom help?
• If you have young children, are light coloured sofas such a good idea?
• Do you want a central lounge with bedroom at each end, or an end-lounge with a large window letting in lots of light?
• Is there enough storage to suit your needs?
• Will you be staying outside of the summer months? Do you need to consider heating and double glazing?
We have many different caravan choices at Silver Sands, so visiting to see them for yourself is a really good must.
Step 4: Find the right location
When you’ve picked your holiday park and static caravan, the next step is to find a pitch that will suit your needs most closely. Ask yourself these questions:
• Do I want to be near to the beach, or close to the pool and entertainments?
• Do I want a quiet pitch or a short walk to the leisure complex?
• Do I need wheelchair access?
• Would I prefer piped gas or a bottle?
Step 5: Becoming an owner
• How long will the sale take to complete?
• When will we get the keys?
• Who will be our key contact once we are owners?